Tuesday 17 June 2014

Home at Last

We are on board the 0530 Dieppe – Newhaven ferry in good time, when we arrived at the port despite the hour we found lots of dogs having their last minute walkies, it took me by surprise that dawn had broken, it was light. The crossing was as smooth and flat as I have ever known. I thought of the dogs but didn't really worry, they both seem to regard the van as their home, comfortable bed and room to move around, no close confinement, seemed relaxed, a couple of times on the journey I had to scoop him up and put him in the van, I could see the potential for him to freak out, but having Lilly as a travelling companion certainly was a bonus she was so very nicely behaved..

In what seems no time I can see the coastline around Newhaven and we are being called to return to our vehicles, with some trepidation I go back to the van, we are nearly at the front near the exit doors, Sid is on the drivers seat smiling at one of the deckhands who asks if he can stroke Sid, he does, Sid is so calm I can barely believe it.
                               
                            Second off the boat, last to leave the port.

UK  border agency  were there to greet me, a fine body of  men and women who’s organisations stated objectives is  to protect the UK’s border and national interests seemed to have identified me and Sid as the threat of the day.
 I was directed to one side and subject to a most peculiar and ineffectual cross examination, whilst this was taking place all of my fellow passengers were cheerfully waved through port security, not one of them stopped, not the obvious smugglers, or the illegal immigrants, even the mass murderers were not troubled to provide an alibi.
And here is the crowning insult, having spent a good deal of the previous evening learning about the British and Canadian young men who gave their lives about this time of year 60 years ago just across the channel where I had just come from, It was me and not the dodgy looking German blokes who sported the dubious logo ‘professional fighting team’ on their clothing, it was me who was stopped.

 I was only on the boat for four hours I know, but that was long enough for me to spot the fact that at least half the passengers were on the run, I was in the minority when it came to speaking the Queens English
 I know enough about the system and the potential to make situations like that which I was in, much worse, I am sure that one of the cretins training videos pointed out the potential of a single man making a quick trip to Spain, nipping over to Morocco to load up with hashish, of course master criminals always operate in this way, perhaps I should be flattered. But I'm not, I'm livid, incensed, outraged indignant, I haven't been this cross since I lost my favourite pencil, I feel the tourettes returning.

 I keep my councel; I really am not in the mood for a full body search.

Thanks everyone I feel a bit better now.

First bit of green lay-by and we stop,  Sid and Lilly have been fantastic and deserve a long walk, they are a bit put off by the long green grass, should think they have never seen anything like it before, they are home now and safe, they are relaxed and interested.




We are on our way to meet Lilly’s fosterer who have two dogs,  Schihtzu’s called Lilly and Phoebe, so I’m not sure what our Lilly will be called when they are all together, as she takes no notice of anything I say I guess it won’t really matter.
 The meeting will be at mother in law, Margaret’s place near Southampton, I tell the boys all about it and we wonder if there may be a bit of chicken left.  Margaret has a little Daschund who’s name is Lucy, she is not used to other dogs and we must all be on our best behaviour as we are staying the night.
 The arrival and introductions at Margaret’s go well, we are tired so after another good walk we have an early night, both dogs on a rug besides my bed, again they are so very good.





 Next day after a thorough inspection of the lampposts in the road and breakfast we all go to Waitrose in Margaret’s car, Sid and Lilly lay down on the back seat quietly, strange car, strange place and they lay down quietly!

 Shopping is a fairly slow business with Margaret, offers need to be scrutinised, staff need to be interrogated as to the freshness and suitability of the items on offer, it occurs to me that someone like Margaret, who worked at Bletchley Park and who finishes the Telegraph crossword each morning in between her two breakfasts would have done a much better job cross examining me at the port, I’m sure I would have confessed to something had she been in charge,.
 From time to time I looked out on the car and my two little charges slept peacefully.
 We were all bought treats and went back to unload the shopping and await Lilly II;s new dad, Gordon.
 Gordon and Lilly 2 hit it off immediately, her foster mum Gill and sisters are at home on the Isle of Wight waiting. 
 It’s evening now, my favored time to travel, Sid and I have a long journey home to Lincolnshire.


We say goodbye to Lilly and Gordon, I thank Margaret for her kindness once again and we are on our way.



The journey is easy, we are old pro’s now, Sid manages to sleep balanced on the passenger seat for the whole trip, apart from refuelling in Lincoln we don’t stop.

It’s very late when we arrive but everyone is up Fred and Domino our two standard poodles are very pleased to see us, Sid takes it all in his stride, has a smile and a wag at Sandy and Ted, who has come over to greet us, and then all in to the garden for lots of excited sniffing and cocking of the leg.
 What an adventure we have had, I’m just so very glad to be able to report that Sid and Lilly were so worth it.
 Half an hour in his foster home Sid sleeps on Ted’s knee, as if in gratitude for the wonderful gesture of the loan of the van, A very wonderful gift, thank you Ted.



A special thank you to Sandy my other half who prepared and kitted me out for the journey, kept me on the right road and checked via regular text messages that my flies were done up.
 Although I didn’t  have much internet en route, I learnt from Sandy’s text messages of the terrific support and encouragement I was getting in response to the updates I was sending, thank you all so very very much,  especially for ignoring my total disregard for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

 On behalf of the lovely Lilly and Sid, the sweetest little dogs, thank you Diana and Hillary and all the kind people who support Terrier SOS.



                      The End Of the Trip but the start of Sid's                                                    new Life .






1 comment:

  1. Leaky eyes alert for the last sentence! I have loved your journey journal and have been so looking forward to reading this part but now feel disappointed it is the final chapter.....maybe you could do some updates as he develops with you? I and I know many others would love to hear the continuing saga of Sidney the super dog and his trusty saviour! x x x

    ReplyDelete